Thursday, January 5, 2012

Later Jan 5--after educational assessments

After 5 hours of tests, the Dr. determined what we suspected: Ben has a very high IQ, but he's also dyslexic. Really, Really Good to know! Hooray--we are now empowered!!  His high IQ is why he is actually above grade level in math (using blocks and manipulatives), and why he's been able to be at almost grade level in reading, with lots of extra help. A normal special education assessment would not have picked up on his central auditory processing disorder. Next step is to present the report to the school and see if the reading teacher has been trained on a specific reading system (there are 5 to choose from, but Wilson is the most common around here) that Ben needs to use to overcome his processing disorder. The Dr. is willing to train her (and me too!), at no extra charge, if she is not appropriately trained in this specific system. However, the school may require more documentation, since Ben isn't performing horribly in school. He's so smart, he's managed to squeak by (and any deficits would have been blamed on language acquisition). We may have to go to a the language and communication center in Rochester for additional tests just to confirm the Dr. diagnosis. We'll cross that bridge if we come to it. Special education services are provided by our local public school, and they hate sending a special ed teacher over to the private school without lots of documentation! Anyway, the appointment was fruitful, and now we can help Ben learn to read better!

1 comment:

  1. Well - I'm seeing the 'discovery' of dyslexia as a great thing - this coming to you from a guy who is dyslexic!!

    Of course being in my 50's and having attended a very small church school from K-8 I was never formally 'diagnosed' until I was an adult - but one of the good Sisters realized that I wasn't a stubborn or 'bad' child and simply taught me that I see things differently than other people but that this was OK - and eventually I 'learned' how to deal with it...but it drove my mom batty!! ;)

    Good luck with the IEP - I've got a feeling it'll work out just fine!!

    hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete